Ep 10 - Chris' Tarantino Meal from the Fantasy Film and Food Draft
In the tenth episode of the Film and Food Podcast I was so excited to launch a new format for the show, the Fantasy Film and Food Draft! This episode me and my guests Andrew and Corey drafted our ultimate food experience from Quentin Tarantino's filmography! This was such a blast, a great fun new format and one we will add to the rotating schedule of the podcast!
This was one of my absolute favourite episodes and a great new format so if you haven't checked it out yet click on the "Podcast" tab!
My challenge from this episode was to cook the meal that I drafted so that is exactly what I will be doing, and I will be making Mac & cheese, the $5 shake and apple strudel!
Chris' meal: Macaroni & Cheese from Once Upon A time in Hollywood, the $5 shake from Pulp Fiction and Apple Strudel from Inglourious Basterds
Chris was able to draft this motley collection of Tarantino dishes, from store-bought Mac & cheese to the more sophisticated apple strudel, this cooking combo is unique! Of course you can just make one or as many as you like, the recipes for my main meal, drink and dessert are below:
Recipe 1: Macaroni & Cheese
Ingredients (serves 1, follow packet guidelines)
- 1 store bought macaroni cheese kit
- olive oil
1. Boil a pot of water and add a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
2. Cook macaroni pasta in boiling water for 11 minutes. Drain and return to pot.
3. Add cheese mixture/packet contents onto pasta and heat for 1-2 minutes while stirring
4. Serve in a bowl and enjoy hot!
Recipe 2: $5 Shake
Ingredients (serve 1):
- 1 scoop good vanilla ice cream
- 250ml unhomogenised milk (or any milk you like)
- half a banana
- 1 tablespoon natural yoghurt
- pinch of cinnamon
- half teaspoon honey
- a teaspoon vanilla essence
- a dollop of fresh whipped cream
- 1 strawberry
1. Locate your good vanilla icecream! I got mine from a local ice-creamery! This helps me make the value of the shake about $5!
2. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a halved strawberry. Enjoy!
Recipe 3: Apple Strudel
Ingredients (serves 2, makes one large strudel)
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup of water
- double cream
- 1 egg for beating
1. Peel, core and dice the apples. Add to medium saucepan with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, water, cornstarch and butter and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2. Meanwhile thaw your sheet of puff pastry. When thawed, lay puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface and using a rolling pin roll he sheet an extra third in size or as much as possible without making the dough too thin.
3. When your filling is cooled lay onto the middle third of the puff pastry sheet.
4. Using a sharp knife, make 10-12 horizontal cuts about 2 cm thick on the outside thirds of the puff pastry sheets. You can see what I did in the photo to the right.
5. Carefully fold over the end of the puff pastry to seal the filling in and then start laying each strip across the filling in a lattice pattern. Don't worry too much if there is filling and apple peaking out but try to contain as much as possible. Put the strudel on a baking sheet lined tray and brush with the beaten egg before cooking in the oven at 190 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Take the strudel out of the oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving with a dollop of double cream and enjoy!
And there you
have it, my completed meal from the fantasy film and food draft, traction edition!
Enjoy and make sure you listen to his episode!