Ep 12 F&F Review - Original McDonald's Burger
In the twelfth episode of the Film and Food Podcast Chris and guest Charlie Bennett gave their film and food review of the 2016 film The Founder. This was such a great episode so make sure to check that episode out by clicking on the "Podcast" tab!
This recipe is one of three recipes for this episode and will help you to make your own original McDonald's burger at home! This is the classic American burger - pickles, onion, mustard, ketchup, beef patty on a bun. Simple & Delicious!
Original McDonald's Burger Recipe:
Recipe Commitment: Easy
This is the classic burger shown in the movie. Made exactly how it was made in the movie. Well, except we didn't have factory-made custom sauce dispensers but this is pretty much as close as you can get at home! Enjoy the nostalgic flavour of an American classic!
Makes 2 burgers
- 4 pickles
- Half an onion
- 2 milk buns
- Ketchup/Tomato Sauce
- 500gm best grade lean mince beef (5% fat)
1. Slice the buns into halves with a bread knife. Dice the half-onion. Have the other ingredients ready for layering the burger later.
2. Take half of the mince beef and shape it into a round patty about the size of the milk bun. It is up to your preference how much beef you use to achieve a thinner or thicker patty. Repeat this process to get two beef patties.
3. Cook the beef patties in a pan with some olive oil on a medium to high heat. Flip a couple of times to ensure the patties are to your liking. Cooking it for a shorter time will produce a rarer burger and cooking for longer will give you
a well-done burger.
4. With the pan still hot, fry the onion with some more oil until soft. Remove from the heat and dice. Set aside for layering.
5. Time to layer. First get the bottom halves of your two buns. Add 5 squirts of ketchup per half-bun. Then add 5 squirts of mustard. Next add the two pickles and a sprinkling of the cooked diced onion. Finally add the beef patties on top and the top half of the milk bun to complete your burger.
6. Enjoy served hot and it is perfect with a bowl of home-made McDonald's fries!