Ep 17 - Omelette Rice Recipe
In the seventeenth episode of the Film and Food Podcast Chris had his amazing wife Bethany on the show to give their first ever TV and Food Review for the Netflix series Midnight Diner! This was such a great episode so make sure to check that episode out by clicking on the "Podcast" tab!
This is one of two recipes that are featured in the show Midnight Diner, omelette rice - which is the special dish that unites unsuspecting lovers in Season 4 episode, episode 4 (or Midnight Diner Tokyo Stories ,Season 1: Episode 4). We hope you enjoy testing your skills and enjoy this dish!
Omelette Rice Recipe
Makes 1 omelette
Leftover Cooked Rice (about 250-400gm)
2 tbsp butter
Your choice of fillings for fried rice (you can add anything you want):
This is a super flexible recipe! Keep it simple like I did and just add soy sauce to your fried rice - or add a range of ingredients to bring texture and complexity to your rice. Either way it is a win!
1. Prepare your chosen fried rice ingredients so they are in small bite-size pieces. Combine with pre-cooked rice and splash in 3 tbsp of soy sauce.
2. Cook your rice mixture for 3-5 minutes until ingredients are cooked and rice is hot. This will change depending on the ingredients you use.
3. Next, whisk the eggs in a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Add butter to a pan and heat on medium. Pour in the eggs and immediately ‘swish’ the eggs with chopsticks, mildly scrambling them and moving any runny egg into holes to form a round shape.
4. When the shape of the omelette has formed, add the fried rice mixture on top, then use your chopsticks to pull over the edges of the omelette onto the rice.
5. Now the tricky part, place a plate close to the pan then flip the plan to transfer the omelette. Serve with a sauce of your choice and enjoy!