Ep 18 - Osso Bucco Recipe!
In the eighteenth episode of the Film and Food Podcast Chris had guests Andrew Lingley, Corey McMahon, Murray Sullivan and Jonathon Ford on for the latest edition of the Fantasy Film and Food Draft! This time we drafted our ultimate food day out from 5 incredible comedy tv shows! This is one of our best episodes so check stout in the 'Podcast' tab!
Chris always makes the food that he drafts on these episodes, and he has treated us with FOUR amazing recipes for you to try at home!
This recipe Chris drafted as his 'dinner' choice in the draft: Osso Bucco, the dish served at the infamous Michael and Jan dinner party episode from The Office! This Italian Dish is hearty, packed full of flavour and will make a great dinner party dish for any occasion!
Osso Bucco Recipe:
This recipe is best left for weekends or days off when you can cook this nice and slow!
I served my Osso Bucco with steamed greens and roasted potatoes. Other great sides include saffron risotto, mashed potatoes and polenta!
- 4 Osso Bucco Veal Shanks (ask your Butcher, if they don't have them ask them for a beef alternative)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tins crushed tomatoes
- 1 diced brown onion, chopped
- olive oil
- 2 cups stock of your choice (I used vegetable)
- 1 beef stock cube
- 3 thyme sprigs
1. Amply season your veal with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbs of olive oil in a large pot on medium. Brown your veal shanks on both sides and remove from pot onto a plate.
2. Add another glug of oil to the pot and add the onion and garlic to cook for 3 minutes. Then add the carrot and celery. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until soft.
3. Place the veal back into the pot. Then add tomato, stock, stock cube & thyme sprigs to the pot. Leave cooking at a medium simmer for at least an hour and a half, preferably longer until the meat is tender and can be torn off the bone with a fork.
4. When the meat is ready, remove the meat with tongs and set aside on a plate. Let the sauce simmer for another 10 minutes to thicken up.
5. Serve the meat and sauce with the sides of your sauce and enjoy!