Ep 6 - F&F Review: Chocolate Lava Cakes
On the sixth episode of the Film and Food Podcast Chris and guest co-host Jonathon Ford had a brilliant conversation and discssuioon in their film and food review of the 2014 film Chef! This was such a great episode so make sure to check that episode out by clicking on the "Podcast" tab!
This recipe is inspired by the infamous lava cake from Chef Casper's restaurant that the critic hates! But this is sure to be a hit for you at home and is one of FOUR recipes you are getting from the movie!
Chocolate Lava Cakes
Recipe Commitment: High
This is a delicious rich desert that will wow any guest if you can get it right!
You will also need at least 2 ramekins for this dish to work!
Ingredients (makes 2 lava cakes):
200gm dark chocolate
50gm double cream
3 tbs plain flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tsp butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
optional -berries of your choice to serve
optional - whipped cream to serve
1. In advance, melt 60 grams of the dark chocolate and the butter in a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. When smooth and stirred through, scoop out chocolate-butter mixture into a small freezable container. Freeze for at least an hour.
2. Melt the rest of the chocolate in a glass bowl over boiling water. Set aside when smooth and melted. Prepare ramekins by rubbing butter and raw sugar on the insides of the ramekin. Preheat oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract. SLOWLY add the egg mixture to the chocolate. Then add the flour and stir to combine. Remove freezer container with chocolate mixture. Chop into two squareish shapes that will fit in the middle of your ramekins.
4. Fill both ramekins to just under halfway full, then add the frozen chocolate squares, cover with remaining mixture. Place in the middle of the oven for 11 minutes.
5. Remove ramekins and allow to cool on a wire rack. Use a knife to gently slice around the edge of each cake. The with a plate in one hand and holding the ramekin in the other hand, fluidly but gently flip the ramekin onto the plate, the cake should then remain on the plate.
6. Serve lava cakes with whipped cream and berries of your choice! Enjoy the molten gooey goodness!